Alternative Service Break (ASB) trips provide a meaningful way for students and staff to engage in a group oriented, immersion community service experience and to learn about service issues such as affordable housing, early childhood education, disaster relief, hunger and homelessness, and sustainable development. Key tenants of an ASB trip include meaningful community service, intentional group reflection, and personal leadership development.
Trips are managed predominately by ASB, our student-run organization in partnership with Student Engagement that seeks to provide affordable and meaningful service trips to Tech students during school breaks. Each break, we send a few groups of 12-18 students, with two student leaders, and two faculty/staff advisors to cities over the globe.
2019 Spring Break Trips
ASB is hosting six sevice trips to the following locations:
- Biloxi, MS (Early Childhood Education) - serve with Community Collaborations in conjunction with Head Start and the local Boys and Girls Club.
- Denver, CO (Sustainabilty / Solar Energy) - serve with GRID Alternatives to implement solar projects and promote GRID's goal of a successful transition to clean, renewable energy that includes everyone. This is ASB's first year partnering with GRID Alternatives!
- Jacksonville, FL (Affordable Housing) - serve with Beaches Habitat for Humanity as part of the Collegiate Challenge program. This will be ASB's tenth year serving with this Habitat affiliate!
- Maryville, TN (Environmental Preservation) - serve with Once Upon a Time, a wilderness retreat located in Cherokee National Park in Maryville. This trip is environmentally-focused and includes trail maintenance, creek cleanups and habitat restoration.
- Medina Bank, Belize (Sustainablity / HealthCare) - serve with 7Elements alongside community members from the rural Mayan village of Medina Bank to construct and expand the local community health centre.
- Monte Cristi, Dominican Republic (Teaching English) - serve with Outreach360 to prepare English lessons for children in the local community of Monte Cristi.
2018 Fall and Winter Break Trips
We are proud to share that ASB hosted five trips last fall semester, including four fall break trips and one winter break trip.
- Asheville, NC (Affordable Housing) - ASB partnered with the Asheville Area Habitat for Humanity affiliate. This was ASB's sixth trim working with Asheville Habitat!
- Birmingham, AL (Disability Services) - ASB partnered with The Exceptional Foundation and The Arc of Central Alabama to support their respective missions. Projects included painting and restorations in the adult care facility and assisting with activities such as art, sports, and games through a program designed for individuals with disabilities. This was ASB's first trip to Birmingham and first disability services focused trip!
- Cherokee, NC (Environmental Preservation) - ASB partnered with the Great Smoky Mountains National Park Service and specifically the Trails Forever Program to provide trail reconstructions projects throughout the park. A unique component of this trip is that the group camps as part of their experience.
- Savannah, GA (Animal Welfare) - ASB partnered with the Humane Society of Greater Savannah, a non-profit rescue and animal adoption organization. This was ASB's first trip to Savannah and first animal welfare focused trip!
- Wilmington, NC (Hurricane Florence Relief) - ASB partnered with Community Collaborations to support the disaster relief efforts in eastern NC. This trip was ASB's third winter break trip!
If you would like more information about our upcoming trips or details on how to become a member of the ASB organization, please contact Civic Engagement, or visit ASB's OrgSync portal or social media pages, or email the ASB student organization.